Monday, August 07, 2006

Confronting the nurse impostor

Recently I read that women who move up into new positions feel like fakes. So common is this feeling it has been given a name - the ‘Impostor Phenomenon’. The upwardly mobile woman internally feels that she is a phoney who achieved her new status purely because of luck, rather than by her intelligence or ability. The literature goes on to say that this is not an abnormal feeling, but something that normal individuals experience when they transition to a new role that changes their identity and relationships. The woman gripped by the “Impostor Phenomenon” may suffer from anxiety, low self-confidence, depression and a feeling of disconnectedness. (Check out the full article at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/533648) In another, now lost article, I read that this feeling can last for several months.

Help! I’ve been in this job for a year and still feel like an impostor! At times I feel that I achieve little, that I can’t do the job properly, that I should give up and go back to my own little patient load. I feel lost - aimless even. Surely there must be other people who can do this job better than I can?

It’s got to the point where I must quit… or take action! I’ve decided to take action, so today sees the launch of my plan that will put these ‘impostor gremlins’ to bed for good! I’m pulling myself together, taking responsibility for my development and taking control of my future. (Sounds good anyway!)

How, you may ask, will I achieve this?

First comes this blog with reflections on my development and plans for the future. Then a PDP on Thursday. I’ve also got some specific tasks that I’m putting into action (I’ll write more on them later)… things are looking up already - I will defeat the impostor within!

5 Comments:

At Sunday, August 26, 2018 2:28:00 am, Blogger Christopher Blevins said...

I’ve been in this site specific employment for the calendar year nevertheless feel as if the impostor! From time to time I am i obtain minor, i can’t complete the task effectively, i need to throw in the towel along with get back on my minor affected individual weight.

 
At Thursday, August 30, 2018 8:04:00 pm, Blogger Christopher Blevins said...

Sometimes I'm sure i just purchase read this post limited, i just can’t accomplish the job safely and effectively, i need to give in and also regain concerning your limited individual body fat. I’ve held it's place in our site specified a job for ones twelve months still feel as if typically the impostor!

 
At Friday, August 31, 2018 5:46:00 am, Blogger Anonymous said...

In this nurse course there has some several side where you can know things in the practical life to use it in real. http://www.observershipguide.com/family-medicine-observership/ that helps me a lot on my academic papers writing.

 
At Friday, August 31, 2018 11:03:00 pm, Blogger Anonymous said...

The course of nursing is not that easy as some people are thinking about as there had so many of the difficulties they had to face. see more details to get more ideas on the thesis, research and term papers writing.

 
At Wednesday, September 26, 2018 3:53:00 am, Blogger RobertKY said...

I completely understand the feeling of anxiety, low self-confidence, depression and a feeling of disconnectedness. That expressions will completely change your life. We should control our such type of mood swings. We have http://www.residencypersonalstatement.biz/fellowship-personal-statement-writing-services/urology-fellowship-personal-statement-writing-services/ for students.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home