Friday, October 26, 2007

checking out - checking in

I checked out of blogging for a while. (That's not entirely true - my personal blog has been going great guns) Anyway, sorry about that.

The more serious issues is that along the way I nearly checked out of nursing too.

I finished working as a Clinical Support Nurse at the end of April and returned to the ward environment. Well, I had never really left the ward environment, but I returned to the hard labour of being the one doing the work rather than supervising and observing others doing the work. I hated it and wanted to quit. While I was trying to find my feet and get my time management back on track I kept getting landed with student nurses and I just couldn't seem to get myself together. (Interestingly, now that I'm flying again I hardly ever am allocated students!)

Somehow nursing seemed little more than a list of tedious jobs I needed to get through by a certain time. Then I could go home. And put my tired, aching feet up and dream of leaving nursing. I mean, mixing up and pushing antibiotics into a cannula - where's the art in that? For me, nursing is all about caring, but all I seemed to be doing was cleaning up excrement and a host of other menial tasks.

None of us like change, and adjustment is uncomfortable, but eventually we get there. As did I. After about two months something clicked. I started to love my job again. Nursing took on new meaning. I cherished my interactions with patients and families in crisis. I saw where each task fitted into the overall picture of caring. I checked back in to nursing.

And now I'm checking back into blogging about nursing. Here's to many reflective posts on nursing in general and my practice in particular!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:59:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please keep describing your journey so others who are struggling will come to understand there is light at the end of the tunnel. And please know that every act nursing is greatly appreciated by patients and the people who love those patients.
Onehealthpro

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:53:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nurses are under-rated but appreciated more than we can ever express. Lives can change when things are bleak and seem hopeless, but when a good nurse comes along and shows that they really care, the whole outlook on healing, and life, can be different. I wonder if nurses know how much power they have when it comes to giving someone hope, or just sending someone home feeling good.

 
At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 11:34:00 pm, Blogger Peter said...

Hi! You sound very down. Sorry to hear about that. Just curious, you mention that nursing is all about caring. When you attend to cleaning up patients etc, that is caring about the patient. If it wasn't for you, they would be left in that state. What type of care would that be then.

Regards
Peter McCartney

 
At Tuesday, July 02, 2019 9:39:00 pm, Blogger anneke sergio said...

Dr. Imoloa has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.imoloa for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much,friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. imoloa Thanks

I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctors, few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr imoloa and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am now here to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experience a total transformation in my life,for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has being rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all,you can contact him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com, you can still reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098
CANCER
EPILEPSY.
GENPILENCIN.
HIV AIDS.
DIABETICS
STROKE.
BREAST ENLARGEMENT...PENIS ENLARGEMENT, H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS HERPES. SYPHILIS. HEPATITIS A B and C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home