Sunday, April 27, 2008

is it time for a nursing moratorium?

Dragging myself to a shift has been a struggle for a while now, but I only realised the extent of my malaise when I sat down now to write - going back over my (rather sparse) posts, I discovered it was a way back in October that I first reported my almost decision to quit. That's six months of hating my job.

Attempting to be objective, I can see that it isn't necessarily nursing I hate. It's more a case of my ward environment getting me down.

Horizontal violence still lives - in fact it's kicking along quite strongly in my corner of the world.

When I first started on this ward I thought if I could put my head down, hive off to my patients and put in a good days work I might survive. I was wrong. More than wrong. I was seriously deluding myself. My work environment is slowly killing my passion for nursing and care.

All this became quite clear to me a few nights ago. I was working a late shift with a male nurse from the hospital's nursing pool. He had previously been employed on the ward, but a few months ago left to (among other things) escape the ward culture. As we chatted I found a different man - relaxed, pleasant, altogether transformed. When I pointed out his new found peace he detailed his journey to the edge and back. He too almost quit nursing because of the ward environment. Since leaving he has rediscovered his nursing mojo. Now when he works a shift on my ward he is appalled by the shallowness, nastiness, exclusivity and power games. I am not imagining things.

So where does this leave me? What to do?

Get out. Leave the ward. Find another work environment fast, before my soul is destroyed.

Easier said than done, believe me! In my corner of the world there is one public hospital (where I am employed) with four medical, two surgical, one paediatric and three women's health wards. Throw in a limited number of specialty areas (with often equally nasty nurses) and we're not talking a huge range of choice. Across town there are two private hospitals. I do not find the prospect of working under a bigger pump in an institution attempting to operate profitably the least bit appealing. A minor issue is that I would also lose the tax benefits offered to those who choose to stay in the public sector (to the tune of several thousand dollars annually).

One option is to return to the ward where I was previously employed, but I don't like orthopaedics. The mindless churning through of total knee and hip replacements is almost as soul destroying as bitchy work mates. Nursing pool offers some hope, but it doesn't really offer the stimulation I need - those medical wards are full of patients awaiting nursing home placement. Yes, they still deserve care but I'm a surgical nurse by nature. Endless cycles of bed baths and pressure area rounds don't appeal.

I'm almost stumped. Quitting nursing appears the only option... Unless...

Unless I take up my friend's offer of employment in the ORS. In my grad year I did a few months in theatre. Admittedly it's a big stretch from scrubbing independently for knee arthroscopy after knee arthroscopy to being a functioning, independent member of the team. But maybe that's just the stimulation I need! And I know there is good educational support.

So I might not quit nursing, I might just step sideways. I'll keep you posted.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 27, 2008 12:11:00 pm, Blogger Peter said...

Hi! That is so true, it must be a state wide disease perhaps. One option is to work part-time and work when you want to, but obviously that is not an option for everyone. But good luck anyway.

All the best,
Peter

 
At Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:47:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog some how i found you looking for info on our sons birth defect esophageal atresia, i wish you the best. also i was wondering if there is any way you would be willing to exchange links? I woulds be so greatful, thanks so much i iwsh you nothing but the best.

 
At Monday, May 11, 2009 2:56:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, im a student nurse in my last year and prior to my placement in theatre the thought of working on a ward depressed me.
Before my training i had no previous experience of nursing, but the thought of nursing as a career appealed to me in so many ways.

I have had a few ward placements, and disliked each one. I was starting to seriously reconsider my career path when i had a community placement and then a theatre placement and firmly decided to stick to it.

Working in a ward environment isnt for me, but as a childrens nurse i know i will have to work for a few years on a ward to get the experience i need for the community. I qualify in feb 2010, and just hope that the next few years fly by.

good luck in whatever you choose to do :)

 
At Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:33:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! I can't tell you how glad I am to see thought's like this posted online. I'm on my second rotation for my graduate year - Cardiac Unit. Prior to this I had been in Angiography and I LOVED IT. Thrived even! Now I feel stifled, stupid, and out of the loop. At first I thought it must be all down to me. And then it dawned on me: I am surrounded by bitchy, cliquey nurses that have no time for you if you're not part of the gang... Can't wait until I can get back to Angio (or theatre for that matter)

 
At Wednesday, March 07, 2018 10:24:00 pm, Anonymous Hospital Supplies said...

yes,it is true that is is happend all over the nation.but we have to find out the solution for this...
Pharma Wholesaler
Bulk cargo ship
Medical Government Supplies

 
At Friday, April 13, 2018 6:55:00 pm, Anonymous best facial cleanser said...

Our mind should be free to recover from all this problem.be happy
buy face wash online
best Face Wash india

 
At Tuesday, July 02, 2019 9:40:00 pm, Blogger anneke sergio said...

Dr. Imoloa has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.imoloa for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much,friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. imoloa Thanks

I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctors, few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr imoloa and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am now here to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experience a total transformation in my life,for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has being rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all,you can contact him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com, you can still reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098
CANCER
EPILEPSY.
GENPILENCIN.
HIV AIDS.
DIABETICS
STROKE.
BREAST ENLARGEMENT...PENIS ENLARGEMENT, H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS HERPES. SYPHILIS. HEPATITIS A B and C.

 
At Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:44:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.Lupus.
,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home